The POWER Challenge is in full swing, and we are halfway through the month long competition. Massey has taken title this week, followed closely by Hess and Morrill.
During week two of the competition, there were several events run both through our office and by the residence halls. The Blackout Bash was this past Friday, where students carved pumpkins, ate fall themed snacks and learned about zero waste practices. There was a great turnout and we had so much fun!
The next morning we hosted a work day at the Grow Lab, where we helped with general gardening practices.
Be sure to check out our Facebook to see photos from both of these events.
The residence halls also had a busy week planning a variety of events. Hess Hall had a zero waste movie night, where they provided warm beverages to residents who brought their own mug. This event was a great way to highlight the Mug Project!
Morrill Hall had an event called “Super Trash Bros,” where they held a Super Smash Bros video game tournament, but to enter you had to bring five or more recyclables. Morrill also had a great bulletin board submission, highlighting what you can and can’t recycle.
Stokely did an event where residents were invited to spin the wheel about water conservation for a piece of candy. This was a great way to inform residents about different water conservation facts!
In the future we will keep hearing from our residence halls about their events, and continue to update the scores weekly.
In the next coming weeks look out for our upcoming events below:
- Campus Sustainability Day
- Thursday, October 18th, 11 – 3 on HSS Amphitheater
- This event features many environmentally focused groups from both campus and Knoxville, free food and free SWAG!
- UT Zero Waste Game Day
- Saturday, October 20th, multiple times
- Sign up to volunteer here
- Help out UT Recycling with their Zero Waste Game Day efforts to help get points for your hall
- Yoga on the Quad
- Thursday, October 25th at 5PM on HSS Amphitheater
- Sign up for the event here
- Come out for a yoga class held outside, be sure to turn off and unplug your room before heading out!
As a reminder, you can always follow us on social media to stay updated with the POWER Challenge.