Check out these ways to get involved this Earth Month!
Dating back to 1970, the month of April has become a time when we focus our energies on our environment and the things that we can do to make it better. Here at UT, we take Earth Day seriously—filling the days and weeks with events, programs, and service opportunities that promote the work we do year-round to Make Orange Green. This year we are celebrating Earth Week from April 18th-22nd with a major festival on Earth Day!
Earth Week Events
Take a look at the events you can take part in here on campus and in the greater Knoxville community. These events are run through our office or in partnership with one of our many on-campus partners.
- When: Monday, April 18th
- Where: HSS Fountain and The Rock.
- Let’s celebrate the beginning of Earth Week by dying the HSS Europa and the Bull Fountain green! We’ll then make our way down to The Rock, where students can leave their handprint on the campus landmark!
- When: Tuesday, April 19th at 2-3pm
- Where: Haslam 601
- The Sustainability in Business Panel aims to educate students on business careers in sustainability. Panelists will be from Eastman Chemical, Clayton Homes, The Shelton Group, and AgLaunch. The panel is open to all graduate and undergraduate students, and snacks will be provided.
- When: Wednesday, April 20th at 11am-2pm
- Where: HSS Lawn
- Take a break under the sun and let your creativity flow! UT’s Office of Sustainability will provide pots and paints, soil and compost, and seeds of your choosing to plant in a pot and take home all free of cost.
- When: Thursday, April 21st time TBD.
- Where: Location TBD.
- Join us for an interactive panel with campus sustainability stakeholders. Students are encouraged to attend and prepare questions for the panelists.
- When: Friday, April 22nd at 12pm-1pm
- Where: Grow Lab
- Help celebrate the opening of Pendergrass Library’s Seed Library with the Grow Lab at our garden space! Not only do seed libraries provide seeds at no charge, but they provide heirloom and native seeds that help preserve local biodiversity. This will be an interactive event – participants will get to learn about seed libraries, preserving biodiversity, and get their hands a little dirty with helping plant the seeds at the Grow Lab.
- When: Friday, April 22nd at 7pm-10pm
- Where: Student Union Plaza
- Friday evening we will draw the weekly celebrations to a close with a Sustainability Fashion Show hosted by the free store, tabling events, and music!
Get outside and get involved in your local community during the month of April! Service is such an important part of our efforts to Make Orange Green. Check out our regular service opportunities on the Volunteer With Us page.