Each day around the world, millions of beauty products are purchased and used. Hair products, makeup, and everything in between can cause damage to the environment. The packaging with hard to recycle plastics, and the manufacturing of chemicals needed for the products can really add up when millions of users around the world use them. Read on to see some tips on how to lessen your ecological footprint.
Reduce waste in your routine:
- Taking off your makeup with cotton balls or wipes can really add a mound of trash to the landfill! Consider switching to reusable cotton rounds that you can wash instead of throwing away.
- Bar soap and shampoo is a great alternative to those products that come in plastic bottles. Switching to bar soap is a great way to reduce the amount of packaging that gets thrown away!
- Along with bar soap, you can also switch to bar deodorant, this will also help reduce things going to the landfill.
- Switch out your plastic toothbrush for a bamboo toothbrush!
- Minimize your makeup routine. Find a few products you absolutely love and stick with those. There’s no need for multiples of similar products!
What to look for when purchasing products:
- An easy way to get started on finding sustainably sourced products is looking for the The Fair Trade logo, which means that the products were made with sustainability in mind.
- This database can also help you sort through sustainability beauty products to help you find the best choices for you.
DIY your beauty products!
- DIY products help reduce packaging waste and are a whole lot of fun to make. Below are some favorite beauty recipes so you can make the swap!
- DIY toothpaste
- DIY lip balm
- DIY face masks
- DIY powder foundation
Remember that sustainability is a process that can take some time to implement and get used to. Take your time and remember each change you make helps the environment!