To help us reach our goal to make UT a Zero Waste institution by diverting 90% of waste from the landfill, start by making your organization’s event Zero Waste!
Making your event Zero Waste reduces its negative impacts on the environment and signifies to event guests that your group or organization is committed to the principles of sustainability.
To make your event Zero Waste, it requires some extra planning and attention to detail. Our checklist will help guide you in your communications with the caterer and ensure the event runs as smoothly as possible, all while succeeding in its goals of Zero Waste.
Items to Use:
- Reusable or Compostable Utensils
- Reusable or Compostable Plates
- Reusable or Compostable cups for hot beverages (coffee, hot chocolate, etc.)
- Reusable, compostable, or plastic recyclable cups for cold beverages
- Bulk packaging for items like water, tea, sugar, condiments, butter, dressing, etc.
Items to Avoid:
- Plastic bags/wrapping
- If this cannot be avoided and there will be a lot of it, let us know and we can bring a specific bin to recycle the material. It cannot be placed with mixed recycling!
- Paper cups (these have a plastic lining that can be neither recycled nor composted)
- Aluminum Foil
- Foil-lined bags (candy wrappers/chip bags)