Small batteries, printer/toner cartridges, and small electronics can be mailed to us for recycling via UT Mail Services or brought to the Public Recycling Drop-Off.
Many residence halls also have bins for these items, but locations vary from hall to hall. Ask your office assistant at the front desk of your residence hall to find a deposit closer to home.
What to Recycle
- When mailing batteries, only include batteries in the envelope. Do not send with printer cartridges or electronics in the same envelope.
- If batteries are rechargeable, please cover the positive and negative ends with tape.
- Batteries must be able to fit in a campus mail envelope.
- Take larger batteries to the Public Recycling Drop-Off outside dock 24 of the Facilities Warehouse at 2121 Stephenson Drive, submit a work request via Archibus, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 865-974-3480 to request a pickup.
- Toner cartridges should stay in their original box. Write “Recycling” on them and drop them off at your department’s Campus Mail pickup location.
- Printer/toner cartridges must be mailed separately. Do not send batteries or electronics in the same box.
- Electronics must be able to fit in a campus mail envelope.
- When sending, please write “Recycling” as the recipient.
- Examples: broken mice, iPods, CDs.
- Do not include batteries or printer cartridges with these or other electronic items. Batteries and printer cartridges must be mailed separately.
- Take larger electronics to the Public Recycling Drop Off outside dock 24 of the Facilities Warehouse at 2121 Stephenson Drive, submit a work request through Archibus, e-mail email@example.com or call 865-974-3480 to request a pickup.
How it Works
Option 1: Mail Them
- Items must be placed in a UT campus mail envelope or in original box for toner cartridges. You can find a UT campus envelope in most academic buildings, offices, and residence hall mailrooms.
- Address the envelope or original toner cartridge box to “Recycling.”
- Please only mail non-leaking batteries or printer cartridges.
- Please mail batteries, printer cartridges, and electronics separately from one another.
Option 2: Public Recycling Drop-Off
- Bring your E-waste and batteries to the designated bin(s) at the Public Recycling Dropoff.
Option 3: Check your Residence Hall or Department
- Visit the front desk of your residence hall or department and ask an office assistant if there is an e-waste deposit somewhere in the building.