We had another full week packed with exciting events, and are looking forward to our upcoming events as well. To view photos from last weeks event visit our Facebook. Continue reading to hear about how last weeks’ events went, and for what’s coming up:
Environmental & Sustainability Career Mingle
On Tuesday we co-hosted this event with Career Services. Students heard from recent graduates, as well as seasoned professionals in the field of sustainability about their careers. The speakers gave tips and tricks from finding your passion, to honing your resume. Students also had the opportunity to speak individually with employers to hear advice and learn about any potential employment opportunities. Some of the companies students heard from were PeaceCorps, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, UT Recycling, City of Knoxville Office of Sustainability, Pilot Flying J, and more! The event went so well and we are so grateful to everyone who came and participated.
Sustainability Day of Service
Held on Saturday, students went out to five different sites to do service around Knoxville. Listed below are the sites our volunteers went to what they did to Make Orange Green all over town:
- Eternal Life Harvest Community Center: About 15 students went to the community center to do a litter pick up around the building
- Concordia Northhaven: Students went to this Nursing and Rehabilitation facility located in North Knoxville to do outdoor beautification and landscaping work in the courtyard for residents to enjoy.
- Grow Lab: Located right on campus, a dozen students helped weed their lower slope and then helped reseed the slope with native pollinator friendly wildflowers.
- KARM: At the Knox Area Rescue Ministries students organized and sorted through donations, arranged them on the store floor, and helped to clean the store.
- Keep Knoxville Beautiful: Nearly 60 students went to the Wild Wing Cafe in West Knoxville to do an outdoor beautification and parking lot cleanup around the restaurant and on the nearby greenway.
This event was in partnership with the Jones Center for Leadership and Service. We are so appreciative of all of the hard work their staff put into this event to make it the most successful Sustainability Day of Service yet!
Get excited for this week’s event:
Earth Month Celebration
Our biggest event of the year will take place this Wednesday, April 17th from 11am – 3pm on HSS Lawn. The event will feature a live broadcast from WUTK, and groups such as Beardsley Farm, Sustainable Future Center, Keep Knoxville Beautiful, UT Gardens, and many more! Come by to hear from these environmentally focused organizations, get sustainable SWAG, free food and more!!
For our last week of Earth Month, as well as the last week of the semester, we have lots of events:
- Regrowth Garden Workshop is on April 22nd at 1pm in the Grow Lab. Be sure to celebrate Earth Day with us in the garden!
- Environmental Leadership Awards on Wednesday, April 24th. Don’t forget to RSVP for this free dinner banquet!
- Bee Campus Celebration will take place on Friday, April 26th outside Fred Brown Hall. There will be a ceremony followed by a volunteer planting event. Don’t forget to sign up to volunteer!