A great New Year Resolution is to get out in the community and get involved with sustainability efforts around Knoxville and campus! There are so many amazing ways to get hands-on experience with sustainability, read on to know more.
Join a student organization!
There are great organizations around campus that you can join this winter! If you need some inspiration, head to the Student Engagement Fair on January 28th, from 11-1. Sustainability groups and other great organizations from all over campus will be there to share with you! Check out some highlighted environmental organizations below.
- EcoVols is an organization that promotes sustainability all over campus with emphasis on residence halls and volunteering.
- SPEAK or Students Promoting Environmental Awareness in Knoxville is another great organization that advocates for environmental education around our city!
- SGA also has its own Environment & Sustainability Committee that helps promote environmental awareness across campus.
To be a Tennessee Volunteer is to… Volunteer! There are possibly a million ways to volunteer around Knoxville.
- Some organizations students enjoy working with all year round are Beardsley Community Farm and Keep Knoxville Beautiful, but those are not the only options!
- Check out our Volunteer Page to keep up to date on all of the volunteer opportunities around our campus! Make sure that when you complete a project, you track your hours with the Center for Leadership and Service.
Listen to a lecture!
There are amazing speakers coming to UTK from all over the world each semester to share their knowledge with you.
- The Baker Center on campus frequently hosts a speaker series on environment and energy.
- Check out UT Events page to see all the available speakers for the semester.
Follow Our Social Media!
Yes, the Office of Sustainability has our very own social media so you can stay up to date on what we are doing. We share tips, campus information, and fun ideas to help you be more sustainable. Check out our handles below!
Hopefully these ideas will help you kickstart a “New Year, New You” mentality. Let’s get inVOLved this semester and Make Orange Green!