Happy New Year everyone! A new year is a great time to reflect and refresh all of our habits we’ve had over the past year. As 2019 kicks off, our office will be sharing different tips and tricks to help you make this year the most sustainable yet! Below are some New Year’s Resolutions for the planet to include in your list. Remember that small changes in your everyday routine can really make a difference!
Bring your own reusable grocery bags to the grocery store!
- Americans use over 100 billion plastic bags a year. Let’s change that by bringing our own bags to the store and saving those plastic bags!
- Make it stick: Keep a few reusable bags in your car so they are always available when you hit the grocery store. That way, there’s less of a need to use that plastic!
Cut the carbon in transportation!
- Around 30% of the carbon emissions in the U.S. is attributed to transportation. Try to limit your driving time so we can reduce those emissions! There are many options to get around Knoxville by public transportation.
- Make it stick: Make a pact with a friend to walk, carpool, or bike to campus. Y’all can catch up on your daily commutes and have fun while cutting carbon!
Reduce water usage in your home!
- Water is a precious resource and we have a responsibility to be good stewards. The old tricks like turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth, regularly checking for leaks, and cutting down on shower time can really add up. Not only this, your wallet will thank you for reducing your water bill!
- If you see a leak on campus call the Facilities One-Call at 865-974-7777 to report it
- Make it stick: Hold yourself accountable by taking this Water Footprint Calculator and seeing how much of an impact you have daily on water conservation. Then, check out their tips for reducing your water usage!
Email your receipt!
- This is such an easy one! So many stores are emailing receipts these days, so there is no need for a printed one. This can save a ton of ink and paper, and help you be more organized!
- Make it stick: Just get into the habit of asking for an emailed receipt and in no time it will be second nature!
Become a part-time vegetarian!
- Meat production is a huge contributor to pollution and water waste. Not everyone can forgo meat all the time so introducing Meatless Mondays into your life can be a great way to reduce your meat consumption.
- One day a week isn’t too hard when you have cool recipes to make.
- Make it stick: Host a meatless potluck with your friends to explore all the fun vegetarian recipes that are out there! Teach each other how you made your meal and have fun!
We hope you gather some inspiration from these, and be sure to check back with us each week for more tips and resources to make your 2019 the most sustainable year ever!